Make this beautiful Snow Village from recycled boxes. Really, these are easy to make and they create a beautiful Christmas or holiday centerpiece. Make a bunch and display on the mantle. A great DIY craft project.
- Small boxes
- Recycled file folders
- Sticky-back craft foam
- Tacky white glue
- Paint/ brush
- White sparkle Glitter
- Scotch tape
- Collect boxes for buildings, such as a tea box, small instant potato box, etc. You can also make a Mini-village using just tiny discarded boxes. Tape all openings shut.
- Paint boxes and let dry. We made tinted white mixtures, using a small amount of color with white paint to get pastel shades.
- Make trees from old green file folders or other thin cardboard. Roll cardboard/folder into a cone shape the desired size. Staple bottom edge to hold and then tape along edge as necessary to hold shape. Level off bottom with scissors.
- Cut doors and windows from the sticky-back foam and stick in place on each building.
- Make each roof from a piece of file folder of the desired color or use cardboard and paint. Roof should extend beyond the sides of the building. Cut a strip of folder/ cardboard the width of the top of your box and approximately 2 inches longer on each side. You are going to use the 2 inch extensions to cut a peak (2 sides of triangle) and then fold at the edges of the box. Glue flat section to top of box to secure peak. Set Roof on top.
- To make a chimney, cut a lengthwise piece of cardboard, about 2 inches high and 4 inches long. Fold into 4\'s and tape together. Cut a v on two opposite sides to fit your roof peak.
- Working within a cookie sheet with closed edges, and on one section of building at a time, i.e. the roof, spread a thin layer of glue and spread around with your finger. Immediately sprinkle with glitter and then let dry. For the roof sections. lay flat after adding glitter and set a fork or similar object on top to keep flat until dry, to avoid curling.
- Repeat for all sections, trees and buildings. Enjoy.
Copyright Sharon Pierce McCullough / ZiggityZoom.com