This is a very easy pilgrim hat project. Kids just need a little help and then they can play Pilgrim for Thanksgiving.
- Paper plate
- Grey or grey-blue construction paper (2)
- Black construction paper (1)
- Gold or orange construction paper - small scrap
- Cut out center of paper plate. Brim can be painted or left as is.
- Along one of the lengthwise edges (11 in side) of each grey piece of construction paper, make 1 inch cuts (about 3/4 inches apart) along the whole edge. Cuts can be made a tiny bit shorter towards the center so that the pieces will curve inward slightly.
- Bend these tabs forward and then tape to the underside of the paper plate (brim of hat). Try to tape the outer tabs so that they are a little longer than the center tabs. This will make you hat taper in like a pilgrim's hat should.
- After adding the back section, which will overlap, staple sides together at top of hat.
- Cut two 1 1/2 inch strips of black paper. Tape or glue one piece in place, as shown, and then tape the other piece, overlapping the first.
- Cut a small buckle and then glue in place.