This is a great Family project. Make this fun Totem Pole from discarded plastic containers and some paint. Colorful Garden project for the whole family.
- Plastic Milk Cartons and Coffee containers
- * Do not use plastic soda or juice containers as the plastic is too hard to cut through to insert the pole.
- Gesso paint
- Acrylic paints/ brushes
- Old broompole or PVC pipe
- Plastic placemat ($1 from Dollar stores)
- Sharp knife - for adult use only
- Rinse and dry containers and then an adult can cut an X shape in the bottom of each container you are using for your Totem. This will ensure that the containers fit snugly on your pole.
- Paint with Gesso. This is available at Art supply stores and Home improvement stores in the paint section. Let dry thoroughly.
- Paint each container a different, bright color and let dry.
- Decorate each piece of the totem as desired and also let theis dry completely.
- Cut plastic placemat into wing-type shape, as shown, and paint if needed.
- Cut two slits into the center of the wings, so they will slide onto the pole between two heads.
- Slide heads and wings onto your pole. You can secure the bottom one by twisting some wire around the pole at the bottom.
- Insert into ground or into a large garden container. Surround with dirt of rocks to hold Totem upright.
- You now have a wonderful piece of Family garden art.
Sharon Pierce McCullough