Here is an easy 4th of July craft for Kids to make that can be used to play with or to add to your 4th of July table as a red, white & blue patriotic centerpiece.
- Empty oatmeal container (Ours is large size, so if you use a smaller container be sure to adjust your sizes of materials.)
- Cardboard or foam board to make Brim
- Red/ White/ Blue Construction paper
- Nontoxic Craft glue
- Pencil or pen
You may use "sticky backed" foam sheets instead of the construction paper & glue.
- Find a piece of cardboard that is wide enough to make a 2-3 inch brim for your hat. You can determine this by placing the bottom of your container on the piece of cardboard to see if it is wide enough. Then, center your container on the cardboard and draw a circle.
- Next, find a round object (plate works well) and draw another circle that will determine the size of your brim.
- Parent should cut out the circles carefully and then child can do the rest.
- If you are using a large oatmeal container, you will notice that there is a ridge running around the top edge. This will actually hold your brim in place. Slip the brim down over the container so that it now sets on the ridge. You can now glue or tape this in place. Ours fit rather securely so we skipped this step.
- If you have a container without an edge, then tape your brim in place.
- Cover container with red construction paper (or foam) and tape or glue in place.
- Cut a Blue band, about 2 1/2 inches wide and 17-171/2 inches long. Remember to check measurements for your container before cutting any pieces. Glue into place above the brim.
- Cut 8 White strips (ours were 1 inch wide x 7 inches long). Glue in place above the blue band.
- Cut out the star pattern and then trace star onto White paper or foam. Make 6 stars and glue into place on the Blue band.
- Cut a Red or Blue circle to make the crown of the hat and glue this into place.