These cookies are fun and easy to make and yummy to eat. You can make any cookie, whether store-bought or homemade, into a festive party cookie.
For Cinco de Maya, we used icing to attach Sugar Dots to cookies, while others have bright colored M&Ms. Let the kids help decorate. You can also use the flat 1/4 inch colored sprinkles around the edge to make little sombreros.
Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter and sugars until smooth.
2. Slowly add vegetable oil.
3. Add eggs, one at a time; then vanilla.
4. Add flour, 1 cup at a time until blended.
5. Add baking soda, salt and cream of tartar.
6. Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour.
7. Roll chilled dough out on a generously sugared surface (to about a 1/4" thickness).
8. Using cookie cutters or a clean round drinking glass, cut out into desired shapes.
9. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden brown).