Make a Zoo full of animals to play with or turn into marionettes. This Giraffe is easy to make and fun to play with.
- Heavyweight Paper or Cardboard (we recycled old file folders)
- Optional: Paint/ brush
- Pipe Cleaners
- Push Pin (to make holes)
- Glue for eye
- Print Pattern and cut out pattern pieces.
- Trace pattern pieces onto heavy paper or cardboard. Cut out. (If you have chosen to use a non-color paper, you will probably want to paint the pieces before tracing and cutting)
- Bend off 2 1/2 " pieces of pipe cleaner, one for each joint. Starting with the end of each pipe cleaner piece, twist into a small, tight coil, using up half of the piece. This will ensure that no sharp ends are protruding. Now, bend the coil over to form a right angle. It is now ready to insert into a joint.
- Using the Push Pin, and holding two pieces of the Giraffe together to be attached where you want it jointed, push the pin in to make a hole. Go through both pieces, wiggling the pin around a little to make a larger hole.
- Insert the straight end of the pipe cleaner coil into the hole of the joint. Now, twist a coil on the back side, so that the joint is fairly snug. You want the legs, head etc. to be moveable, but not too loose.
- Attach all pieces in this manner.
- Cut any eye from a plain piece of white paper or card stock. Make a small black circle with marker or pen and then glue this into place.