- Discarded eggshell halves
- Egg carton
- Seeds (choose seeds that sprout in 7-10 days)
- Cut egg carton bottom to hold desired number of egg shells.
- Wash eggshells gently in a mild soapy solution. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels or let air dry.
- Using a teaspoon, fill each eggshell with up soil up to 1/2 inch from the top.
- Put shells in place in egg carton.
- Place 3 or 4 seeds in each eggshell. Then place 1/4 inch of soil over seeds and gently pat down.
- When all shells have been planted, water lightly and place in a sunny window sill.
- Make sure your child waters each shell daily with a teasoon of water. (more if soil is drying out quickly)
- Once seedlings emerge they may be planted outdoors if it is warm enough in the season. Or if this is a winter project, plant them in a pot to watch them grow indoors. (Make a small hole in bottom of eggshell or crush bottom to allow roots to spread when planting.)