Looking for a quick and easy, last minute craft for celebrating Cinco de Mayo? How about these cute, colorful and easy-to-make maracas? And best of all, you don't have to buy anything special to make them.
What you Need:
- Masking tape
- Small dry beans
- Paint & Brush
- Straws or Craft sticks
- Small Empty bottle (vitamin size works well)
What to Do:
- Center a piece of 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper over the top of your empty bottle. Fold over the short sides and then fold over the long sides of the paper, hiding open spaces. Hold paper in place and start wrapping with masking tape. Do not tape around the neck of the bottle or you won't be able to remove it. After you have taped all areas around the bottle, now tape strips across the top, extending down the sides. You will need about 4 strips or more. The more masking tape used, the sturdier the maraca.
- Now slide the bottle out by grasping the cap/neck of the bottle. Try not to smush your maraca.
- Fill the maraca with about 30 dry beans.
- Insert a straw or craft stick into the area where the bottle was, but leave it stick out like a handle.
- Carefully squeeze the bottom of the paper to the handle and then tape securely in place.
- Paint the maraca and let dry.
- Decorate with markers and "shake, shake, shake" your maraca!
Sharon Pierce mcCullough