Pirate Vest & EyePatch
Holiday Crafts > Halloween
Here is an easy-to-make Pirate vest and eyepatch for your favorite little pirate. Made from felt and shoelaces, there is no sewing required to make this pirate vest.
- Black felt material (if 36" wide or more, 1/2 yd will work)
- One pair of Shoelaces 54" cord-type
- Hole punch
- Elastic cord for eyepatch
- Chalk (optional, for marking)
What To Do:
- Fold felt fabric in half, so that the length from the folded edge is 18 inches (or more if working with wider fabric).
- Note that the folded area will serve as the shoulder area, so this must not be cut.
- We started with a piece (folded) that was 14 x 18 inches, but prior to cutting your material you might need to make an adjustment in size, depending on the child. You might need to work larger or smaller, as the case may be.
- Referring to the pattern, (you may want to draw chalk lines prior to cutting) cut out area for the side of the shoulder and the side taper.
- Next ... cutting ONLY the top (front) cut straight up the center front. Then cut diagonal lines, as shown, to form the front.
- Use a hole punch to make six holes (front and back) about an inch apart. Only cut one thickness of fabric at a time.
- Lace sides with a shoelace and tie off at end of lacing. Tie off ends, about even with the bottom of the vest, then cut off excess.
- Cut Eyepatch from area cut from side shoulder. Make two small holes to tie elastic cord through.
- Now your Pirate is ready to go!
More activities you might like: